Best Basketball Ankle Brace
Ankle braces are a really really timely subject for me at the moment this article is being written because after going about 10 years without an ankle sprain I sprain my ankle exactly 17 days ago. Since it had been so long I must have forgotten how long an ankle sprain can actually take to heal (especially for someone over 30).
The first few days were really rough but after the R.I.C.E system, some acupuncture, and tens stimulation my ankle still hurts pretty bad. On top of the irritating pain I’m missing a basketball tournament I was really excited for. Being someone who loves the game of basketball I’m trying to do everything that I can to find an ankle brace that will allow me to play in the tournament and keep my ankle stable enough to not re-injure it.
That lead me to multiple Big 5 Sporting Goods locations, Amazon, and into the closet digging through everything to find my old ankle brace with the goal of finding the best ankle brace for basketball. The ideal ankle brace will be supportive, fit properly, fit into a shoe comfortably and accomplish two major things…
A Great Ankle Brace Will
- Encourage healing
- Prevent re-injury
- Fit into your shoe
What is the Best Ankle Brace for Basketball?
1. Ultra Zoom Ankle Brace
- Prevent future injuries and protect your ankle from sprains with this supportive and secure brace. The Ultra Zoom ankle brace is on your ankle in seconds, protects you for hours, and lasts for years.
- This ankle brace can be put on in seconds, yet allows you to move freely in all the natural ways, without the stiffness of other braces. You'll play better and play more, losing less time to injuries.
- High-tech materials including a hinged-cuff design allows full range of motion for long lasting ankle support and performance. Soft shell technology is extremely form-fitting and offers multi-season durability.
- The Ultra Zoom is ideal for athletes who play volleyball (club, youth, professional), basketball, football, soccer, or anyone who wants to help prevent ankle injuries without restricting their performance.
- SIZING: Reference size chart in photos and measure by ankle circumference. DO NOT base off of shoe size - even if you have a long foot you might wear a Small/Medium Brace. Fits right or left ankle. Sold in single units, NOT pairs.
The Ultra Zoom Ankle Brace is the best ankle brace for basketball! It’s actually a much better option than most of the other braces on this list! The Ultra Zoom Ankle Brace offers support in areas other braces do not, fits comfortably inside any shoe and is reasonably priced considering it protects your ankle which is crucial to your quality of daily life.
Our Second Pick for Basketball Ankle Brace
2. Don Joy Pod Ankle Brace
- Provides " On Demand" technology engages specifically when needed to proactively prohibit ankle roll and other common ankle injuries
- Engineered to maximize the athlete's natural range of motion while providing exceptional support where it's needed
- Molded TPU shell adapts to match the anatomical shape of any foot; Low profile design and adjustability ensure a customizable fit
- Super soft EVA underlayer lining hugs the foot and ankle for ultimate comfort without being overly bulky
- Designed to treat and protect against ankle instability, inversion and eversion ankle sprains, and roll control
Don Joy’s “Pod” ankle brace is our runner up for best basketball ankle brace. What I love about this ankle brace is the ease of use, putting this brace on is extremely simple and quick compared to the old school lace up, then strap, strap again and yet again. With the Don Joy brace, you simply slip your foot in and velcro two straps. Another thing that I love about the “Pod” ankle brace is its low profile design, getting an ankle brace into today’s sneaker can be a difficult task but with the Don Joy Pod brace that isn’t an issue at all.
The only thing that prevented me from placing this brace at #1 is the fitment. When I received my brace I ordered the wrong size, because of this my brace was a little looser than it should have been. We will re-test with the right size and update this review!